Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Good day with the kiddos...

I really feel like I had a fun and productive day with the babies I sit. Baby boy is one, and Baby girl is 3--I stuffed them both into a large orange stroller (built for one, but they are tiny babies) and took off for Riverside park. Baby girl had other ideas, though, and directed me to a much smaller, cozy little park on Riverside and 122nd. She tore off her bright green parka and jumped into the sandbox. The main play equipment was a set of two swings. There was also a lump in the ground carved like the back of a turtle that served no particular function that I could think of.
Baby boy learned to like the swing after a couple minutes of fussing, and Baby girl spent 10 minutes yelling at a squirrel to "Climb up that tree!". The squirrel thought she was saying "I have pieces of bread for you in my pocket!" which is what most kids at the park say to squirrels, and so he crept closer and closer to her. I could tell she was getting freaked out so I chased it away, but it was pretty sweet (to me, at least.)
We stopped at a cafe on our way home (the man at the counter had to help me pull my stroller into the cafe--"two kids, that's tough," he said) and I bought a cookie for each of the kids and a soda for myself. I finally got Baby boy to sit in the stroller with his sister again, and the walk home was blissfully silent. I got to really take in the beautiful buildings and the sky. I said to baby girl "Look how pretty that old building is," and she said "Yeah. It's pretty cute."

2 comments:

Kele said...

Awww. You are so maternal.

Christian Asplund said...

awwww--baby girl says clever things just like our baby girl.