Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Canterbridgia

I've only been here 4 days and I love it already. The streets are narrow, the houses are old and the wood paneling on the outside is painted green or purple or yellow. There are parks every 5 blocks or so, and Anna lives blocks away from Davis square (cafes, second hand stores, an amazing taqueria), an amazing Greek restaurant, and an adorable old bakery (pics will come later).
Some highlights:
1. Stuie and Big D/Donna (Anna's parents). Donna is so thoughtful and interesting--she works in a hospital training young and at-risk mothers read behavioral signals and take care of their babies for when they return from the hospital. Stuie is hilarious, and constantly tells stories of his past in "the movement" at Columbia.
2. St. Patty's day feast--steamed cabbage (I've always been skeptical when dad made this in the past, but I felt obligated to eat it this time and was very glad I did. Dad, I will never poke fun at your penchant for cabbage ever again. But I still won't like Kim Chee), corned beef with mustard, etc.
3. Cranberry nut bread with brie melted on top. I've had approximately one million slices of this. Also, strawberries with gruyere.
4. Meeting Anna's friends and their crazy families. Waffles with her friend Eliza and her friend's dad, introduced to me as "DFic" and her aunt, cousin, sister, and mother.
5. Walks around Cambridge--almost everywhere we've gone so far in Cambridge we've walked to. It's been pretty nice out, and the houses and buildings are so quaint.
6. The luscious bed I've been sleeping in--it's a struggle every morning (or, to be quite honest, every afternoon) to get out of it.

I will post pictures later. Hope you all are enjoying your spring breaks (or lack thereof) as much as I am. Just kidding--love you all.

No comments: