Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sweat

I am putting off a shower right now. It is very unpleasant, but unfortunately necessary, to take showers here. There are only two on our floor, and they are both very low pressure. There is no shelf on which to place your soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. and negotiating the temperature of the water is time-consuming and confusing. It is much too hot these days to take a hot shower, but then cold showers are always unpleasant. Our showers don't really do the in-between thing, so... I usually just switch off.
I just had my adviser meeting this morning. Neither of us had much to say--I'm pretty happy with my schedule this semester--but he seems pleasant and advising isn't required, so I assume that he's pretty willing to help out if I ever need it.
It's been challenging to make friends here. I guess we're all just in the 100-words-or-fewer conversation mode right now and moving from that to doing-activities/exchanging-phone-numbers level is nigh-on impossible, for me at least.
I'm really just biding my time until classes start. I feel like having a topic of conversation aside from a/c or lack thereof in our dorm rooms and the hypothetical awesome-ness of working as a "Barnard Bartender" will be helpful in making real friends.
I've seen Rian a few times since I got here--it's been comforting to know someone here, even if they are across the street and much busier/more talented at making friends than I am. I've met a few interesting people, but like I said, it's hard to really gage how interested I am in a person who I've only spoken to about air conditioning.
CC, SEAS, and Barnard first-years are all going to Victoria Gardens tonight, so maybe I'll meet some people there. I'd better getting around to showering about now, though, because I have to go to a health forum (again) in a few hours and I have to stop by the bank before I do.
Wish me luck!

No comments: